Barry I. Resnik, M.D.
Barry I. Resnik, MD is the Medical Director of the Resnik Skin Institute and HS Authority in Aventura, Florida. He graduated from Tulane University School of Medicine in 1990 and completed his residency in Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery at the University of Miami School of Medicine in 1994. Dr. Resnik is a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology and a Fellow of both the American Academy of Dermatology and American Society of Dermatologic Surgery.
His specialization in treating HS came after he realized patients were not being offered the full scope of therapies for this orphan disease. Each patient fills out a Therapy Survey before their evaluation, allowing for a customized treatment plan, without duplication of therapy. Long-term anti-inflammation therapy using antibiotics, hormone suppression therapy using spironolactone, oral contraceptives and dutasteride. Biologic therapy featuring Humira, the first medicine labeled by the FDA for the treatment of HS, is a mainstay of therapy. Dr Resnik was part of the Advisory Committee whose recommendations and work lead to the FDA decision. He also offers the off-label use of Remicade, Cosentyx, and others.
Dr Resnik is a pioneer in the surgical treatment of HS. He offers CO2 Laser surgery with second intention healing. This revolutionary surgical technique removes just the skin bearing the “ant-farms”, the thick, scarred plaques of long-standing HS. The healing process is relatively easy, gives a cosmetically acceptable scar, and offers a very low recurrence rate.
HS affects more than just the skin. Nutritional therapy, including Mediator Release testing, is offered, as dairy and other foods can exacerbate HS. The mental effects of HS are addressed as well. The psychosocial impact of HS cannot be underestimated. Intimacy therapy and counseling are also offered.
HS is an all-encompassing disease and demands an all-encompassing approach. Resnik Skin Institute and the HS Authority are here to provide that care and attention.
- Board Certified - American Board of Dermatology 1995. Recertified 2005,2015
- Residency in Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery - University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Miami, Florida 1991-1994
- Internship in Internal Medicine - University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Miami Florida -1990-91
- Medical Degree - Tulane University School of Medicine New Orleans, Louisiana - 1986-90
Appointments & Offices Held
- Member, Executive Board, Hidradenitis Suppurativa Foundation, 2010-Present
- Voluntary Clinical Professor of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine Miami, Florida 1994 to present
- Member, Office-based Surgery Task Force, American Academy of Dermatology 1998-2004
- Member, Coding and Classification Committee, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery 1997-2004
- Member, Procedural Committee, American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery 1998-2004
- Chairman, Managed Care Committee, Florida Society of Dermatology 1996-97
- Secretary/Treasurer, Miami Society of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery 1995-97
- President, Miami Society of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery 1997-1998
- Membership Committee, Florida Society of Dermatology 1995-96
- Voting Member, Southern Institutional Review Board 1991-99
Faculty Member, Laser Hands-on Workshop. Held at Academy '96, American Academy of Dermatology, Orlando, FL July 1996
- Diplomate - American Board of Dermatology - 1995 - Present
- Fellow - American Academy of Dermatology - 1995 - Present
- Fellow - American Society for Dermatologic Surgery - 1995 - Present
- Fellow - Florida Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery - 1995 - Present
- Fellow - Florida Society for Dermatologic Surgery - 1995 - Present
- Fellow and Charter Member - American Society of Hair Restoration Surgery - 1995
- Fellow - Society for Pediatric Dermatology - 1996 - Present
- Fellow - American Medical Association - 1994 - Lifetime
- Fellow - Florida Medical Association - 1994 - Present